Preparation time: 30-35 min Cooking time: 2 1/2 hours Servings: about 4 – 6
Braciole with sauce is one of those traditional Italians meals reserved for special family gatherings. For many Italians, braciole are synonymous to their nonna’s cooking and memorable Sunday lunches. Thus, Braciole are part of the fond memories of most Italians who can recite who in their upbringing made the very best. Here’s our recipe.
- 1 1/2 lb beef top round or flank steak – if meat is thick butterfly it or ask your butcher to do this. You’ll want thin slices of meat for rolling.
- 1/2 c. Chopped Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1/2 c. Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese or Grated Aged Provolone Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Garlic chopped finely
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 – 10 slices prosciutto or speck, halved widthways
- Toothpicks or string (butcher’s twine) to secure the rolls
- 3-4 Tbsp. Olive oil for browning
- Tomato Sauce (see recipe for this to follow)
- 500 g rigatoni
Using a meat mallet or a rolling pin, pound the steaks between sheets of baking paper to about 5mm thick. Cut steaks in 2 widthways. (You can ask your butcher to do this for you.) If making smaller ones cut the meat into 5-6” slices.
Rub each slice with olive oil. Lay the prosciutto slices over each steak and scatter chopped parsley, cheese, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
Roll up to enclose and secure with toothpicks. You can use 2 or 3 strings to secure the smaller ones. If making large ones, use more string or toothpicks.
In a large frypan, Brown the rolls in olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
When finished – remove them and tranfer to tomato sauce.
Cover the pan or pot and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir gently occasionally to turn the braciole.
Uncover the pot for the last hour of cooking to thicken.
Remove braciole before serving and remove and discard toothpicks and strings. Slice the braciole thickly.
Serve with rigatoni, plenty of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and a nice glass of red wine.
Rub each slice with olive oil. Lay the prosciutto slices over each steak and scatter chopped parsley, cheese, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. canada jewerly , australia jewerly ,ReplyDelete