Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Vatican Museum's Spiral Staircase


 The Vatican Museums spiral staircase is one of the most photographed in the world, and certainly one of the most beautiful. Designed by Giuseppe Momo in 1932, the broad steps are somewhere between a ramp and a staircase. The stairs are actually two separate helixes, one leading up and the other leading down, that twist together in a double helix formation. Little did the Vatican Museum know in 1932 that this formation would come to represent life itself, with the discovery of the double helical DNA strand.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea the Vatican had spiral staircases in it. This is so awesome. I am planing my trip to Rome next year. I hope I can go see these staircases. Thanks so much for this information.

    ReplyDelete